Sunday, November 30, 2008

[74] My Fair Lady


Now as some people know, but probably not now that I think about it, I am a great fan of musicals. There is rarely an outburst of song or dance that I despise. That said, I absolutely adored this movie. From the first song I was enthralled by it all. This film is funny, beautiful and romantic.

It tells the story of Henry Higgens (Rex Harrison), a man who has great knowledge in the ways of speech. He is able to know where a person came from, just from hearing the words from their mouth. He proposes a challenge to change Eliza Doolittle (Audrey Hepburn) from being a common flower girl, to someone who could be mistaken for a duchess.

As far as acting goes, I'm on really going to speak on Audrey Hepburn. I've only seen one other film she's in, Breakfast At Tiffany's. As great as that film is, I did enjoy My Fair Lady much more. Audrey Hepburn's accent is fantastic in the beginning, as a common London flower girl. Her exclamations, the way she moves, it's fantastic. Then, as she changes, she is fantastic in a different way. She is then seen as something beautiful and lovely. An actress like Audrey Hepburn is rare in these days. I'd probably give it to someone like Cate Blanchett as being the Audrey Hepburn of the current ages. The way she looks, speaks, moves, they're all amazing. I'm surprised she wasn't nominated for a best actress oscar in 1964, for this film. This does make sense though, because the winner of this was Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins, a role that is quite astounding.

I would like to point out that Rex Harrison won a Best Actor oscar for his role as Henry Higgins. An achievement he was certainly worthy of.

The film, however, did win Best Movie, in the year 1964, an honour it was very deserving of. I wonder what it was up against. Ok, I have looked it up on a website of some sort, and it was up against Becket, Dr Strangelove, Mary Poppins and Zorba the Greek. An interesting year for films, no doubt, but I'd say that in voting that year, I would have had a hard time deciding between Dr Strangelove, Marry Poppins and My Fair Lady. I can't say anything for the other two as I haven't seen them.

That said, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Although it may not be for everyone's tastes. My sister, before I watched it, told me it was boring. I however, didn't think so.

I give it a 9/10 and realise I should really have some sort of ratings sytem that makes sense to myself, let alone everyone else.

No comments: